a few ideas on what to do with…a whole chicken
Ok, here’s a post for the “Frugal” minded people. We all know, that it’s cheaper to buy one whole roasting chicken, than a package of chicken breasts or two, for the same amount of meat. (as in the cost per pound is less)
But here you are, with a whole chicken. You are like “Ok how the heck can that feed me for not one..but three days, if not more” (depends on the size of the chicken and how many people..if you’re like a single person, or just a couple, then it will feed you for a decent amount of time)
1: Roast chicken meal. Here’s the most “Fancy” of the whole thing. Sprinkle some seasoning salt on the skin, toss in a 400 degree oven for about 2 hours. That’s it. Serve with mashed potatoes/veggies/can of gravy..or if you’re a Canadian like me, fries and St. Hubert sauce. (Swiss Chalet is ok…but St. Hubert is better)
now for the leftovers. After your roast chicken dinner, make sure you save all the bones TRUST ME…strip the meat from the remaining bird, and put in bags/containers and freeze.
Of course instead of using the chicken breasts, I used some of the leftover roast chicken.
Now here’s a quicker/easyer way. Instead of doing the slow cooker, grab a skillet, and use a drained can of chick peas. everything else is the same, but the result is a meal in like 10 minutes.
Chickpea/chicken slow cooker curry. I got this from a $5 meal site..
Curried chickpeas and chicken
Slow Cooker Curried Chickpeas and Chicken
- 1 lb. dried chickpeas ($1.75)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (free to $1)
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce ($.33)
- 1 Tbsp curry powder ($.20)
- 2 chicken breasts, diced ($1.75)
- Couple dashes of garlic salt
- Couple dashes of pepper
- 1 cup white rice ($.20)
- 1 box frozen spinach ($.50)
- Cilantro, an optional garnish
- Soak the dried chickpeas overnight. Drain and rinse, then add to the base of the slow cooker. Add the broth, tomato sauce and curry powder. Stir together. (At this point you could add the cooked or uncooked chicken pieces and let them cook with the chickpeas.) Season with a few dashes of garlic salt and pepper. Set on high and cook for 4 hours, or until chickpeas are soft and chicken is cooked, if using raw chicken at the start. Let sit on warm, until ready to serve.
- Prepare rice as directed on the package.
- Cook the spinach as directed on the box.
- Serve Curried Chickpeas and Chicken over rice with side of spinach, or other vegetable.